By Cody Reiss
Food/van dude/funny guy Cody Reiss picked up some Brooklyn Lager and hit the beach to make some beer braised sausages with caramelized onions. We’ve got the full recipe and video below for you to study up and make it on your own— get creative!
Brooklyn Lager Braised Sausages with Caramelized Onions, or “Snausage, Onions, and Lager”
- 4 uncooked snausages (ex. Italian Rippers, Brats, etc.)
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thick
- 1 12oz can Brooklyn Lager
- Potato hot dog buns
- Take out sauce packets— hot mustard, soy sauce, duck sauce, or your preferred source of acidity, salt, and sweetness. Vinegar, Worcestershire, maple syrup—go wild
- Sauerkraut or other pickled/fermented goody
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, add a glug of oil, and sear snausages on all sides, browning until bored.
- Move snausages to the side and add onions, then place the snausages on top to steam while the onions cook and get color. Add a generous pinch of salt.
- Cook onions until well browned, moving around occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add Brooklyn Lager and take out sauce packets (or other seasoning) and reduce, uncovered, until the onions are tender and jammy, and there’s little liquid left in the pan. NOTE: Squeeze snausages occasionally, and if they feel like they’re getting tough, remove them and let the onions cook by their lonesome.
- Give it a taste, adjusting with seasoning for acidity, salt, and sweetness.
- Nestle snausages on potato buns and top with jammy onions and sauerkraut. Enjoy.
The post Recipe: Brooklyn Lager Braised Sausages with Cody Reiss appeared first on Brooklyn Brewery.
SOURCE: Blog – Brooklyn Brewery – Read entire story here.